Sunday, December 17, 2006

A beautiful day in the Gardens

What a beautiful day we had today. Warm temperature, bright sun, a gentle breeze and a group of happy babies- perfect! We ventured off to the Yuntai Gardens which was spectacular. I remember as a child growing up we used to visit many gardens in Canada, but these take the prize- I have never seen anything like it. Everything in this country is detailed, precise and holds much beauty. The history everything carries is astounding and makes the US pale in comparison.

Madeleine particularily enjoyed the morning at the gardens as they have several bushes sculpted into animal shapes and a view of the mountains which was phenomenal. We had lunch right at the Gardens which clearly won my vote. The garden is actually named after the noodle that they serve, which is famous because it is prepared with water that comes from the mountain where no others have access. Again, a day of comedy for the Druckers when Madeleine fell asleep at the restuarant while sitting at the table and Audrey blew out her diaper. It's quite the challenge to pull off discretely changing a baby with a mess such as this while remaining in a room filled with people and staff who watch every move you make- not because they are nosy, but because they are observant and curious. I know you're thinking- why didn't I go to the bathroom and using a changing table? Sure, that would be fabulous, but keep in mind that for the most part, the public bathrooms are all squatters, so a changing table is not quite on their list of restroom accomodations. Nonetheless, I am always conscious of the girls behavior- it's not like in the States when you're in line at the grocery store and someone is having a meltdown- as a mother, there is this unwritten code amongst us which allows you to throw the other mom a look of empathy that says "it's ok, we've all been there"...here, I'm always wondering what they are thinking as they stare at you and speak in their native tongue which is so obviosuly foreign to us.

Did I mention that climbing the stairs to get up to the restaurant was comparable to the Great Wall? Oh sure...and of course we had a stroller as did most of us in the group. Oh my, we are a site wherever we go, and are happy to provide the comical entertainment for our group. We had the pleasure of sharing the day at the Garden with many local people as it is Sunday. So many locals stop and comment on the beauty of our two girls and how lucky they are- if only I could adequately translate back to them that we are the lucky ones- we have been blessed twice over with children from their country, which many of our shopkeeper friends tell us is "double happiness"- they sure have that right!

Audrey put on her first pair of squeeky shoes today and thought they were pretty neat. She is quite active and is always waiting for someone to take her for a "walk" up and down the hallway. Memere often is elected for this role, as she does not have to bend down much to hold her hands! As you can imagine, it's pretty tough, we usually have to twist her arm...ha! She has also discovered how to pull herself up using the wall and today was feeling a bit adventurous and let go of the wall long enough to show me that it won't be too long before she is off and going on her own. Daddy's first project when we get home is getting those baby gates up- Uncle Matt, we may need some help!


My shoulder and legs are aching from the day of carrying Audrey- she is like a bag of cement to carry, but she is so full of love, she just makes you smile from ear to ear. Thank goodness for the hip hammock Jodi- that helps a lot- everytime I put her in it, I get this visual of you and Zoe and Zoe eating an ice cream cone. So Estelle, you may need to get some extra yarn for that sweater- my sweetie is a bruiser!

To Shannon, Jodi and Dawn-
Each day our group meets at the red couches in the lobby, and each time I'm there, I am reminded of our photo shoot and tearful goodbyes...I wish you were all here with us to experience this again. We have caught up with Lucy at her shop and the girls at China doll- our two favorite stores, and they have treated us so well. The group is great, but it's just not the same without you...

Tomorrow's itinerary is shopping! Woo hoo! Our guide is taking us to a few places off the island, so I can't wait to see what kind of treasures we may find...Christian has already taken out his wallet and handed over his RMB for me while shaking his head and wondering what kind of damage I may do tomorrow.

Audrey is sleeping and Madeleine will soon be down as well...Mom and Dad will not be too far behind.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing and crying all at the same time as I read your entries! I can so relate to the "blown out diapers", Myah had lots of those when we were in China. Your right there is no easy way to change those when all eyes seems to be on you. Yikes!

As you wrote about the red couch, that did make me cry and miss you all so much! What a special moment I will always treasure.

If you see Lucy again, give her a hug from us. We all just loved her!

Enjoy all the wonderful memories you are making!

Love, Shannon and Family

PS I loved the tub picture!!

Anonymous said...

It is Sunday morning Dec 17th 8:00 am in Lockport, NY. I have enjoyed my coffee with the writings from all of you so far away but so close. Your descriptions and pictures have brought you all so close to all of us back home. We all thank you for sharing your joy with us. We can't wait for your return and your first trip to Lockport so we too may meet our newest "granddaughter"
Madelein..You are the best biggest sister. Paulette we will have that tea and I can't wait to hear it all in person.
With love Jay and Betty

Anonymous said...

OOPS Unintentionally left that last e off yopur name, Madeleine.

Anonymous said...

Zoe loves the picture in the bathtub " with the crazy hair" and she calls it!
Wow The Gardens look awesome.

Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow.It must be hard for you to believe your time there is coming close to the end.On our end it seemed very quick.

Love The Herrington's

Anonymous said...

Sounded like a great day! I'll warm up the screwdrivers for those child gates!

Anonymous said...

Christian...we'll have to get you some upgraded yard tools so you can re-create the gardens for us US folk who have not seen the beauty! The photos are amazing. Each day you all are more at peace - if that is even possible. Lots of love from FL, Kim

Anonymous said...

Okay,now I am really sitting here crying!! I must have a copy of that photo of Paulette and Audrey from this page! It is the PERFECT "grandmother in love photo." Nothing like it! We are a subculture, you know...what a bond, what a smile, what love. Hurry home, safely and enjoy our GREEN Christmas! Hugs and kisses to one and all!
X, A*