Saturday, December 16, 2006

Hello from a very proud Memere


It is now 4:10 PM and my hip is sore and my feet are aching but all this pales in comparison to the pride and joy that I feel to have had the opportunity to share this adventure/blessing with Monique, Christian, Madeleine and Audrey. Carol, Ed, and Maurille, I am sure that you join me in sharing the fruits of our labors as we are blessed by the beautiful family that Christian and Monique have created. No words are adequate, no poetry fine enough to describe what I feel just now! I am half a world away in the land of my grandchildren and they are here with me. Can you believe that? I tell you it is still very surreal for me but I am loving every moment of it and thanking God for all His gifts and blessings through them.

Today we began each day as we usually do with a sumptuous breakfast opportunity at the longest, most diverse breakfast smorgasbord that I have ever seen anywhere. Want french toast or noodles and dumplings? No problem. You'd prefer eggs and pizza or you'd like a sandwich? That's available too. I haven't counted how many different fresh fruit choices they have here but it is more than anyone could eat....and it just keeps on coming every day. Sometimes we feel as if we need to be rolled away from the table and brought to our rooms in a cart because we have eaten the equivalent of breakfast, lunch and dinner already and it is only 9:00 AM when we leave the dining area!

Today we met our guide at 9:30 and headed out for a tour of the Chen Family Museum.
Since the new China (with Mao) this is now a government museum (actually, everything here, homes included, is owned by the government) but it was originally built as a family Temple where the oldest male member of each of the Chen families could come to worship their ancestors on Chinese New Year and during the Apple festival each year. Later the Chen family hired teachers (which were then called masters) to instuct the young men in the family since there were no schools.

Today the museum houses some furniture from the original temple but it is primarily a museum for some of the art work of the Chinese people: paintings that are totally made from embroidery, ivory scuplture that would make you wonder how anyone could carve such beauty from an elephant tusk, pieces of fine china such as vases and plates, and many rooms filled with carvings from floor to ceiling. Our guide told us that it took 36 workers six years to complete the temple but I wonder how that was even possible. It was all very magnificent.

Yes, we are loving the opportunity to see and experience the culture of our children and grandchildren. In particular we love meeting the people...rather, they love meeting us and asking us about ourselves. They are a gentle people who really want to talk to us...they also want us to spend our money in their shops so they go out of their way to make us feel welcome. What they don't know is that we have all been schooled in bargaining by the master in the group (Monique) and we have never paid first price. We found that even when we walk away because the owners would not meet our price they eventually come out to find us and take our final offer! She is very good at this and we are getting better all the time. Meanwhile, we shop, shop, shop! Today was ladies day and the three dads stayed with the little ones while we hit the streets. After 3.5 hours we came back to rescue the men (and I wanted two advils to take care of the hip!) but within 10 minutes the men were out the door to do some bargaining of their own. They have yet to return.....cha ching, cha ching...can you here it from there?

As I have been typing this, Madeleine and Audrey have been playing in the background. It is such music to my ears. I never thought that blowing rasberries could be so entertaining but when it is coupled with the laughter and giggles of your grandchildren, there is nothing sweeter. We are so multiply blessed and I can't wait to have you all meet the newest member of the family. Natalie and Nicole, your newest cousin will give you a run for your money. She is definitely up to your standards and the four of you will keep Memere young (and definitely tired). I must be young-looking (could it be the bottle-blond look...won't my hairdresser like that one? ) since many have asked if Monique and I are sisters. Of course, these are also the same shopkeepers who want my money so...OK, I'll take the compliment anyway I can get it.

I must say that all the families on this trip have such great big hearts and we are so pleased that all the babies are adjusting so well. The Chinese people here in Guangzhou know full well why we are here and they are happy for all the babies in their new families.....and so, my friends, are we!

Many thanks to all who have sent their wishes to me in the comments. I can say in all honesty that I wish you were here as this is the opportunity of a lifetime!

Keep the messages coming. We all read them eagerly and await your words as much as you do ours.

8 comments:

Mindy Crawford said...

Words can not describe how happy I am for your family. Each and every day I awake to your stories of China and to see the new photos of your family. Audrey is so blessed to come in to a family who loves her so much. It is wonderful to start off my day with such a full heart. To Monique, Christian, Medeleine and Memere... Santa has already come and brought the gift of Audrey into your hearts. As for Audrey... I can not wait to meet you for myself. God Bless all of you on your journey.

Hugs and kisses from New Hampshire,
Mindy, Burt, Corey and Mac

Anonymous said...

Memere,

That was a beautiful! I can see where Monique gets her big heart. God has blessed you all with the precious gift of a loving family!

Many blessings!
Shannon and family

Anonymous said...

Monique, Christian, Madeline, Audrey, and Memere,

We are so happy for you! You are truly blessed. May God continue to bless and keep the Drucker family!

Lots of love,
The Personte's

Jodi Herrington said...

Memere,

You have such a beautiful way with words. Monique learned from the best.Keep the stories coming-it is the highlight of the day!

Love, The Herrington's

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone, so there's a new scribe in town, huh? Nice to hear things through Paulette's eyes. Thanks for sharing. We are all thinking of you everyday and hope you enjoy your last week there. The excitement is building in the Morrell household to meet Audrey next Saturday! All our love, us.

p.s. I haven't forgotten to check on the car reservation.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your pictures overwhelm me with joy. I told John today when I saw the pictures of the two beautiful little ones - now this is Christmas! There is no greater gift then what you received this year. Glad to hear all is well. We look forward to your updates and check regularly to see if there is any news.

Take notes and give us all the great places to shop, eat at, and what to do and not do when you get back.

Thanks for sharing your journey.
Caroline & John

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure you are all having!! I feel as if I am right there with you. I can't wait to give Audrey a great big hug.
Thanks for the birthday wishes to Ben. We are all thinking of you everyday. Enjoy this special time. What a wonderful Christmas this is!!
Love you lots!
Adrienne

Anonymous said...

Monique....your photo with the girls in this post is perfect, peaceful, joyful and magical! I love the update from Paulette and smile that we have 5 more days of these posts before you return home. Love you my friend!