Monday, December 11, 2006

If only I was the Dragon Lady....

Oh my...we learned so much about the Empress Cixi aka The Dragon Lady, and her many years in power behind the throne. What fascinating history this country has.

We started the day off by hitting the Jade Factory- and I am now known to the group as the bargaining consultant- Shannon and Todd, you would be proud! After ringing up all of our sales there, we drove about an hour to the Great Wall. It is breath- taking, even the second time around. Christian climbed to the first tower with several members of our group while Memere, Madeleine and I climbed a bit and then walked around the lower tower...it is said in China by General Mao, that if you have visited the Great Wall, then you are a hero, so we are all feeling like heroes today!
For those of you who know my mom, she does not do heights or ledges very well- so this was a huge deal- I was very proud of her.


From there we went to a local restaurant for lunch- it was a feast. The dishes keep coming and coming and each time they are different. The group seemed to really enjoy this particular place. Madeleine conquered the "squat" potty today-she was a bit afraid of them yesterday, but when presented with no other choice, she was a true champ.

After lunch we toured the Summer Palace- this was built by the Dragon Lady and is exquisite in the winter, so we can only imagine what the summer months were like here. She had a theater, a 780 meter walkway with handpainted pictures, and a marble boat to name a few things.


The day was capped off by what we thought was going to be a "foot massage"....well, it was that and much more. We were taken to a reflexology center and man oh man, I think my mom and I are still recovering. All three of us had massages while Madeleine slept- all the cold air and running around caught up with her. I'm not quite sure that I won't wake up with bruises from this adventure, but I will admit, I feel good, and my mom's podiatrist will be pleased.

We are back at the hotel now to pack up our goods and attempt to get everything back into our suitcases and under 44lbs for our flight tomorrow- yeah, that's going to be a challenge! We must meet in the lobby at 6am and our flight leaves at 8:30am for Guangzhou. We are very excited to think that by this time tomorrow, we will have Audrey with us- it is still a bit surreal.

19 1/2 hours until we meet Audrey...

We have all taken a great fondness to our guide Jane- I will be sad to leave her tomorrow- I wish I could bring her home with us.

Signing off from Beijing for the last time...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Monique!!! We are proud of you being the bargain queen. What fun!! Now I am wondering what kinds of bargins you got, hum.... hopefully lots of beautiful things

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to hear about the "foot massage". Wow just hours til we all get a glance!!!

Jodi Herrington

Anonymous said...

As I write this...9:45am in Florida, I am wondering if you are getting ready to sleep (as it is 10:45pm in China) or if you are wide awake, knowing that this is the last evening you are a family of 3...or maybe you are going over your lists in your head and hoping that your luggage is under-weight!
Jim, Leah and I send our love and blessings ove the next day as you celebrate "gotcha day #2"! I can't wait to come to work tomorrow morning to see photos of Baby Audrey and the new and improved Drucker family! Love to all, we love you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

It is so fun to hear about your adventures, and I figured out how to make the pictures bigger so I can get a good look. This will be very helpful tomorrow when you post pictures of the whole family!

Glad to hear you are having a great time. I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight, tomorrow will be a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

HI!
I was in carol's office when she pulled your blog up. How awesome to have this opportunity to share these wonderful sites (from her roots) with madeline!! I love the pics!!! Best wishes as the time nears for you to meet little Audrey! You will be in my thoughts!!! Jen zitser

Jodi Bailey said...

Monique-
I hope you got a pedicure before letting people see your unpolished toes:)

I am missing you guys and can't wait to see new pictures. Thinking of the toilet squatting reminds me of Christine's story when she was there and her wallet...

Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I ran back from weekend wrap to see what you posted and people will not stop coming in. I just want to say "Don't you know what is happening in China! Leave me alone!". I can not wait to get to work tomorrow and see your posting!!!!! Jenn Crane

Anonymous said...

Hi Drucker Family!
What a phenomenal job you have done with this blog site! It is so neat to read about and see all the experiences you have had so far - and the best is yet to come!
Must not seem possible that you will be seeing your little Audrey in less than a day! What an incredible feeling! Can't wait to hear those stories, and see those pictures too!
Will be thinking of you for sure!
Love, Nicole

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see pictures of your whole "new" family soon! Your postings have been wonderful, and yeah, I usually cry when I read 'em. Glad you're having a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, what a fun day that sounded like. I can't wait for Madeleine to tell us what she liked the most. Good luck tomorrow, can't wait to hear about your initial moments with Audrey. Say hi to your mom for us, and kisses and hugs for Madeleine. Love, Matt, Jayne, and Julia.

Tim said...

Hi Moe and fam!

This is my first time looking at your site, and I've been reading a while trying to catch up! I'm glad I got the link before your big day today! It's 3AM over there, so I hope you are resting up for your amazing and wonderful day today. Can't wait to see and hear!!

Love,

Tim

Anonymous said...

Hello Drucker Family,

Is anyone sleeping there (I think it's 3:30am for you)? How thrilling that you'll soon be holding Audrey! I can barely wait to hear the details of her smile and how she likes to cuddle- and about the first big belly laugh Madeleine gets from her Petunia!
Sending you all love, The Johnson Family PS- Cole and Sage saw "Santa on the motorcycle" and are so excited to tell Madeleine about it! Cole said, "I'm laughing one for me and one for Madeleine".

Anonymous said...

Hi Paulette,
Wow - what a day you've had! So glad Madeleine is doing well with all the travel and go-go-go. You are all in my prayers.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hey there- we have been meaning to call you before you left and now you are all there! I get chills seeing you and Madeleine there, where it all began...How amazing it must be to experience this with Madeleine and you mom by your side!
How exciting that tomorrow at this time you will have your Petunia in your arms. Lots of hugs and kisses from us Bleecher's back at home. Can't wait to hear the details about holding your baby:)
Danielle, Mike and Marella

Tim said...

By the way... I got the link from Todd, who is having trouble adding comments, but wanted me to say hello and send his love!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and your family. I cannot wait until tomorrow when you get to hold Audrey in your arms. Try to get some rest tonight! Tell everyone I said hi and kiss Madeleine for me.

-Claudia

Anonymous said...

I told you I would be a blog-stalker and here I am for the third or fourth time today. Just checking to see if you have added anything since this morning. You must be ready to fly off and get your Petunia by now... wishing you safe travels and a wonderful Gotcha! day!!

MM

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing that you had such adventures so that you can be tired enough to sleep with all of the excitement. I'll think of you all day and imagine you seeing Audrey for the first time. Give her hugs and kisses for us! We can't wait to hear all about it in Madeleine's words when we see you.
Estelle & Bill

Anonymous said...

I can't take it!!! Are you there yet?????I think you should have landed or, if not soon. Just another couple of hours!! Love another blog stalker

Jodi Herrington

Anonymous said...

They just kept bringing more and more food? Sounds like my kinda place! (Except for the squat potties) Hope you are well!

Jim Sturm