Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Return of the Mack Daddy!

Okay, back by popular demand, it's the Mack Daddy! Well, we are truly approaching the homestretch now. We did some of the final paperwork today and the consulate appointment is tomorrow. It is hard to believe that we are closing in on two weeks here in China. It has been quite the ride. We are starting to get anxious to head home. My wife has the packing and lists are in full gear; so those of you that know her, understand the fun I am having. We have 25 lists and several bags are packed and we aren't leaving until Saturday in the a.m.! Not a move is made without checking the list.

Other than the paperwork, it was a rather relaxing day. We had a fun time in the playroom after breakfast. Audrey used the walker but apparently feels that she needs to do everything at mach 10 speed. She was like Danica Patrick at Indianapolis, racing around and crashing into things. Madeleine is more into soccer as she kicks the ball around the playroom causing other families to duck. I have a feeling that both girls are going to be quite active and that means we are going to have our hands full. I wish I had half of their energy! I can see these girls involved in several sports and activities. Don't fret though, I am sure my wife will give me a detailed list telling me where to be, at what time and with which kid!

I had a chance to do some shopping sans Monique today, which means not much yuan was spent! I looked around in most all the shops and was done in an hour. My wife has been shopping straight for 10 days and is still going strong. Thank goodness for a decent exchange rate. I am sorry to report that I was unable to find that plasma TV or home entertainment system. I guess there is always Santa!

Speaking of which, the Christmas vibe here is a bit odd. They have some signs up and the hotel has a tree and the hostess' dressed in red with Santa caps. We were surprised that there was as much signage about the holiday given the fact that it is not celebrated here. It still is weird that the holiday is less then a week away, it seems that it is far away. Perhaps it is because thanks to my wife's shopping, the cupboards are bare or maybe we have other priorities. I believe it is a combination.

The evening was a picnic outside the rooms with the other AAI families. We ordered subs and sandwiches and had Coke Light (diet coke). It was a ball the kids played the parents laughed and ate. It was a nice cheap dinner. We have a very diverse group which makes these get-togethers fun.

My beautiful wife is diligently working on list 26 and therefore it is time to wrap this up and put a bow on it (you all know that my wife is truly a godsend and a wonderful caring person, but if you can't poke fun at the ones you love, who can you poke fun at!) By the way, ignore her comments in yesterday's post, she was just jealous at the attention that my heartfelt sentiments gained!

Well consulate tomorrow, Audrey's visa and passport Friday and then home Saturday. I am hoping it will be good weather for our return! Well until tomorrow, this is the daddy mack signing off saying piece to the Homies and I am Audi 5000!

P.S. Taught Madeleine to wink and give the thumbs up, here is a photo of her showing off the new skills!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Druckers,

Glad to hear you had a fun and relaxing day! I can't believe you will be home soon, and settling in to your life as a family of four. I wish that I could meet you at the airport with signs and balloons, but please know that I will be thinking of you on your return to the states. I guess since I will be out of the country, I won't get to be one of the first to see Audrey as you promised in exchange for the 6:30 a.m. pick up, but I will be sure to cash in on the meeting invitation as soon as I get back. Good luck with the appointments tomorrow and happy list making!

Anonymous said...

Audrey has blossomed in the week she has been a Drucker and I just love watching her new life unfold. Monique I hope you got some great deals and are walking all over that dang city for me!! I can't wait for Audrey and Leah to meet...they will be great fun to watch. Good luck Thursday and Friday, and onward Dasher, Dancer, Prancer....you get the jist. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Lists, Lists and more LISTS!!! Go Monique! We list makers will stick together. Thankfully we do have our husbands to balance us out! It is hard to believe that you really are in the home stretch. Good luck with all the final events before you start on your journey back to the US.

Love & Blessings!
Shannon and family

Anonymous said...

Madeleine, I love your thumbs up picture! :-)

Winkin' back at ya!

Dawn and Peri VanAken

Anonymous said...

Weighing in from the male list makers, there is nothing a good list can't handle (except maybe two energetic kids on a 24 hour plane ride). Someone learned their leadership lessons well. Christian, we'll have to work on you...

My whole office is now following along with your travels - its the story of the year!

Jim Sturm

Anonymous said...

I love the wink and the thumbs up!! I'm sure Ben will love to copy Madeleine's new trick!!
I'm sure you have mixed emotions about this part of the journy coming to an end. What a wonderful adventure-- but the real journy will just be beginning as you start your lives now as a family of 4!! Hard to believe monique--where are lives have led us. We never could have imagined in 1986 when we were hanging out on the little league field where we would be in 20 years!!!
Love you all tons!Continued safe travels and we can't wait to meet Audrey!

Anonymous said...

God Speed to you all! Hurry home!

Anonymous said...

So glad the hoe stretch is coming!I cannot wait to hear every detail:)You know how I am Monique:)

Looking froward to hearing from you tomorrow.

Jodi Herrington

I still choose to believe Monique, Christian:)

Anonymous said...

Now there is a man-post.
All hail the MAN-POST.
(cheering in background)

Now, what kind of beer can I have for on your doorstep when you return?