Everything we have done today on the island has been with the comment "this is the last time we'll....". It is quite difficult to find words that match my emotion. This afternoon it was a huge sigh of relief and a collective exhale from all of us that the proper documentation was in our hands and it's in writing that Audrey ZiXia Drucker is coming home. With that, I struggle with leaving the birth country of our daughters and of the gentle and beautiful people and culture which we have been so much a part of for the past 14 days. This has been a particularily special trip for me, having my husband, daughter and mother all with me to welcome Audrey and visit her homeland. For so long we talked and planned "when we go to China", and now it's over and my heart aches to leave as much as it yearns to be home.
Today's pictures include some of our favorite places on the island. I was feeling a bit nostalgic today and walked around taking photos and video of the streets in Guangzhou.
Sure, we are happy that we will be home for Christmas, but in all honesty, it makes little difference to me. For two weeks we have not had a TV on, nor has the phone rung- it has been all about family and I have loved every minute of it. Once we touch back on US soil, the hustle and bustle of the holidays may be overwhelming since we have been separated from it. Madeleine will be happy about Santa Claus, but she has rarely mentioned it- instead, everyday she wakes up and asks about her Petunia, and she runs to see her favorite pal Markus, whom she is clearly smitten with. Markus is 14 and has taken Madeleine on as his little sister the entire trip. I'm more concerned about how she'll deal with saying goodbye to him in the morning (they live in IA) than about the long flight home.
For all of you who have followed along with us, we thank you for your support and encouragement. This blog was a great way for us to feel connected to home, but also for us to share our family story and hopefully give some of you a glimpse into the wonderful world of adoption. Who knows where the next Drucker Family Journey will lead us, but I do know this...I will sign off "to be continued"....
7 comments:
Monique,
My friend, given your sentiments, it is fitting that I sit here crying again reading your beautiful words. You are an amazing woman, and you have such a wonderful, loving, beautiful family. Thank you for sharing such a personal journey. I will look forward to seeing you in the New Year. Home safe.
Monique,
Your words were so beautiful and heartfelt. I can hardly keep my eyes dry. It is the close of a wonderful chapter yet the start of a new exciting adventure. Thank you for allowing us the honor to share this awesome journey with you again, this time a bit different than the first. We love you all and look forward to hearing your stories of the trip home and the first days at home.
Love,
The Medendorp's
I have been going through my yearly ritual of reading "Your Best Year Yet!" by Jinny S. Ditzler, and the first chapters are about looking back over the past year at all you've accomplished. Job well done, Christian & Monique! What a beautiful end to 2006 and an exciting beginning to 2007.
Safe traveling,
Dawn & Peri
Monique, Christian, Memere, Madeleine & Audrey,
We wish you safe travels. Before you know it you will be home.
Thanks for sharing your amazing journey. We enjoyed reading about it every step of the way. It gives hope to those of us who are just a little behind you in the process.
God Bless!
Caroline :)
Hello to the Beautiful Drucker Family and Memere too!
First let me say how touched and awe inspired we are by all of your heartfelt words. I can only but imagine the emotions that have carried all of you throughout this trip. What an amazing, amazing journey.
Secondly, it is just so clear with one look at your gorgeous new daughter that she was just made to be with all of you. God is so Good.
We truly feel honored to be able to share this with you by way of your words and photos- thank you for letting us all be a part of it.
We are surely praying for your safe arrival home (also for long naps, kind stewardesses and sturdy diapers for the plane ride) and are so looking forward to meeting that little Love in person.
Won't Madeleine be excited to show Audrey her new forever home. It's going to be such a joy for you all to watch.
Congratulations..... again and again..... our Love and prayers are with you. Can't wait to see you.
Love- The Barbieri Family
I am at a loss for words...a rarety for me. I have been dying to get to a computer to read the final post and now that I have, I don't want it to end. But I need you to come home so we can start keeping eachother on track again!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. A toast to the Drucker family!
Kim, Jim and Leah McMahon
Such a beautiful post Monique. It has been wonderful to share this experience with you through this site.
Your words describe truly what Christmas is all about.
We will be thinking of you as you make your journy home.
With love,
the Neithardts
Post a Comment