Monday, December 18, 2006

Daddy's Turn!

After enormous calling for a post from dad, I finally decided to answer the prayers of thousands; okay hundreds; okay, okay two people and post my thoughts and feelings. Today was a shopping day so I am sure everyone who knows my wife can empathize with my pain. We started out in a small mall that had various Chinese teas, carvings, etc. I basically played with Madeleine on the escalators. Then it was off to the mall of the jewelry variety. Yes, you read correctly a mall (6 floors) of nothing and I mean nothing but jewelry! You could buy pearls by the bag full! We had already used up the pearl money so it was just looking for us. The rest of the day was quiet and concluded with a group dinner at Lucy's and yet some more shopping (I could hardly contain my excitement!).

Those who have followed the daily posts my wife has made have gotten some insight into the process and the emotion of our experience. She has eloquently recapped our days and emotions (I give her my best material). It has been a very surreal ordeal that is hard to describe. I can honestly say that the wave of emotion is hard to deal with. When they put Audrey in our arms it was a high of excitement and adrenaline that the moment was here. It was as if the red thread connecting us which was thousands of miles long at one point was now wrapping around Monique, Madeleine, Audrey and I in a way that bonded us together as a family.


Words cannot begin to express the way I feel on a daily basis. We were truly blessed almost three years ago when they placed Madeleine in our arms. I never thought that I could feel that emotion again. Now, to be back in China with Madeleine, as Audrey joins our family it is very overwhelming. I was thinking about a way to describe the emotion and the Martina McBride song, "In My Daughter's Eyes" continues to bob into my head. Part of the song goes as follows:

This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daugter's eyes

I apologize for the use of song lyrics (I know a bit cheesy) but I figured these were so perfect in describing the emotion. Many who have kids can relate to these lyrics. It is so true that my daughters have become this guiding force. The love I feel for them is all-encompassing. I look in their eyes and I see the innocence of life and yet draw strength that helps me deal with the future. God has truly blessed us. I often laugh when we talk to locals here and they say thank you and that the children are so lucking to have us adopting them. Though these sentiments are nice and heart-felt, but it is we who are blessed to have these children become part of our lives. Madeleine and Audrey are these beautiful children that humble us. When I look into Madeleine and Audrey's eyes, I see the possibilities and hope of what could be. These wonderful kids are a source of energy that helps me try harder or be smarter.

I can only hope that everyone could feel this emotion at least once in their lives. There is no better feeling then making my "Buddha-belly" Audrey laugh and giggle or when after a hard or trying day, Madeleine gives me a hug out-of-the-blue and says "Daddy, I love you." It is such a great feeling that it literally produces tears of joy.

This journey that God has chosen for us is one that is truly wonderful. We have embraced this challenge and look forward to the journey of raising and guiding these children. Alright, enough sappy junk. I can't believe my Fantasy Football team has fallen to pieces! And can the Mets sign someone, please! Anyway, I digress, I want to thank all of you for your support and kind words. I cannot truly express what they have meant to us. We look forward to seeing you all soon!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christian, your words were worth the wait. Again, I sit reading the blog and crying. There is just something about Daddies and Daughters that is hard to express in words, and yet, you did it so beautifully!
Thank you for sharing such a personal journey, and letting people like me into your family world.

Anonymous said...

CJDrucks rocks! This keeps getting better and better, and I am the lucky one to have your family in my life. Blow a raspberry on that "budda belly" from the McMahons in Florida. Love Kim!

Anonymous said...

It was so nice to hear from you Christian. I wish I was there with you guys so I can kiss Madeleine and bite Audrey's cheeks! Every time I see her face I just want to bit her chunky cheeks! Keep having a great time and appreciate every minute. We are here doing our last minute shopping for Xmas and can't wait for a break!

Anonymous said...

OK, I must be getting old and sappy, because I am sitting in my office and getting all misty as I read all your posts. My staff will think i must be having a tough day in the office!

What a Christmas gift!!!

Christian needs to start writing romance novels, now that he has all this emotional stuff down pat.

Jim Sturm

Anonymous said...

Finally Daddy speaks! I was starting to think they tied you up and took the credit cards. :)
I love hearing how happy you all are and the pictures are beautiful. You definitely are blessed with those two beautiful little girls.
Best of luck on your final paperwork and travel back to the U.S.

Kim Silva

Anonymous said...

Dearest Christian, Madeleline and Audrey are truly blessed to have an amazing dad. Your words are most beautiful and so heartfelt. Please know I continue to think of all of you and can't wait to hold Audrey. Maria

Anonymous said...

Nice job Dad! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That was simply beautiful Christian! Madeleine and Audrey are blessed to have a Dad like you.

Love,
Shannon & Family

Anonymous said...

We continue to cry and laugh with your daily messages. I come into work in the morning, and can't wait for after 9:00 so that I can begin to look for your messages. Then I know that you're safely off to bed and that you've had another blessed day. I bet that you are as tired as you are exhilarated and that you will welcome the long flight home so that you can finally rest.
Estelle & Bill

Anonymous said...

Ok- now I see that eloquence is something both you and Monique share. As I read your comments Christian, I feel so blessed and grateful that I found Mike and he has introduced me to his wonderful friends that are so thankful and grateful for the greatest gift God could ever offer us, our children. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of this. We cannot wait to meet Audrey and to see Madeleine with her. We were relating when you write about the belly laughs- there is nothing like it!
Lots of love and kisses to you all and we simply cannot wait to meet Audrey!
The Bleecher's

Anonymous said...

Wow, another touching and heartwrenching blog post. I love to see the pictures and hear about your daily adventures. I hope someday I get the opportunity to meet your two beautiful girls in person. You are truly blessed. Monique you have a great husband, he is a keeper. :) Glad to hear you are all well and may you be blessed for a safe trip home. What a wonderful way to return home only to celebrate the holidays.

Enjoy every moment!
Caroline & John

Anonymous said...

Well, Christian, my friend from China adventure #1, I can imagine the beautiful scenery, gettin' our girls (even though I frist thought Madeleine was Myah....ooops), the great local smells (mostly), a lot of awesome food (except on the night of the dinner cruise - hey, where'd it go....follow the stampede), the pork blood soup (if you recall, I showed great cowardice on that one. U da man), and a few other great moments.

But that was then and it is a treasure in our hearts that we will always share with you. But this experience is likely better yet as you have your family with you (Madeleine, you are too cute). The tribe is bigger and your heart of love and compassion is too. Isn't God amazing with that bigger heart/bigger love gig?

Enjoy it all and keep writing this great journal. Know we are excited and jealous at the same time, but beyond all things, remember that we are proud to call you friends. Treasure it all and keep showing us the movie of your experience with your well written words.

And a couple of final words that you are hearing enough, Christian from all the ladies with you..... U da man!

Anonymous said...

Go Daddy ! You are awesome. I say you are all lucky to have found each other! I sure wish we were there with you. Pete loves it when I shop:)

Love The Herrington's

Anonymous said...

Ok, so you're a WHOLE FAMILY of writers! Truly, you're bringing us right there with you and I just love it.

Dawn VanAken

Anonymous said...

Um Christian....
Helllllllllllllooooooooooo
Did we forget to pack our man pants. As a father of three little girls myself, I can see how you can go soft occasionally.... but get a grip man, lets try to keep our composure a little bit here.... Remember the He-Man University oath, please.

Upon your return immediately call me for a beer and burger. We need a little dad-to-dad time. Monique... call me, you are in dire straights of losing your husband. Next thing you know he'll be TIVO-ing Oprah. Get a hold of your self...

Oh by the way, nice posts.