Monday, December 18, 2006

Opening your heart and your mind...

I've been thinking about our day today and reflecting on how the adoption journey and process opens both your heart and mind. In so many ways, travelling to a foreign country and living among a completely different culture also does this.

This morning, our guide took us to the Six Banyan Temple. It is the oldest temple in China standing 1450 years, and has a tower inside that is 14 stories high. As an educator and learned individual, I welcome the opportunity to stretch my own thoughts and beliefs and open my mind to others. So...in we walk to the oldest and possibly largest Buddhist temple in China. Local folk are burning insense and bringing gifts of fruit and juice to offer for wishes, and inside one of the buildings one is overwhelmed by the magnitude of three gold Buddhas and the people who were steadfastly shining them and preparing the area for worship. As my mom (yes the former Sister Mary Celeste of Jesus) stood by with the video camera, Christian and I along with both of the girls removed our shoes and knelt before the Buddhas to receive a blessing. I must say, although it is unknown to me what the Buddhist was singing as he quietly tapped a drum and praised the Buddha, it was quite peaceful. He then dipped a leaf into some water and dripped it onto each of our heads. I never imagined I would have been in a position to experience this, but I am grateful for the opportunity to recognize that each of us have our God that we praise, and ritual in which we do that- for me, this morning was a chance to have a blessing from the Chinese onto our children through a ritual that is centuries old and steep in tradition and culture, and their way of expressing and exercising their beliefs.


Right now, Christian is doing his best to get both girls down for a rest, which is just short of a miracle, but we have managed this a couple of times now, and look forward to returning home when we can begin to create "normalcy" and some sort of routine and schedule.

Madeleine is battling a cold and runny nose, so it was no small wonder when I woke up this morning I was feeling a bit under the weather myself. It's only a matter of time before the other 2 Druckers catch up, but I am armed with Zicam and loads of other over the counter meds, so we're ready. A few other parents in the group are also not feeling well, which for the second week into our trip and all of our travels, little sleep and busy schedules, it's about right. Hopefully it will make it's way through our systems before we begin the long travels home on saturday.


Audrey is climbing all over the place. Christian has devised a game which he likes to call "the buddha flop" and she just thinks this is terrific.



Tomorrow we will prepare and finalize our paperwork for the appointment with the US Consulate which is on thursday. I will be so thankful to have this done and to have Audrey's visa in our hands!

As always, thank you for your return comments and for following along our family's journey.

p.s. Don't be fooled...my husband spent hours creating that post last night-albeit from the heart and full of "awwhhh" potential, it's not like he sits around penning love notes on a daily basis. But I will say, as far as Daddies go, he sure is meant for little girls, they've got him wrapped right around their little fingers!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessings come in many ways...your journey has reminded me of that, as well as to count my own. On the top of my list is your friendship. We indeed owe NACA and WW something, huh!
Ps-Audrey has the cutest clothes ever!!!

Anonymous said...

As always, Monique, you have a way with words. As I prepare to spend Christmas in a far away land, you have reminded me to open my heart and my mind to a different culture and the wealth of experiences to be had there. Can you believe it is almost time to come home??? Did Madeleine write to Santa to find out about getting a ride home on the sleigh? What a wonderful, hectic, blessed holiday you will have back at home.

Anonymous said...

As I prepare to go home for the Holidays, Meliss and Moniques words have helped me reflect on the importance of family and what my husband will experiance this year not being with his family on Christmas day. I think the three of us would be a mess crying in the same room! I wanted to tell Christian that I really loved his post and it was great to see his comments. You should check out "I hope you dance"...that will put in song what we wish for all children. It is a song that my mom and share. I love the pictures of the girls!!! They seemmed to be soul mates!-Jenn Crane

Anonymous said...

It is challenging finding the right words to say in my first-ever post, but I thank you for the opportunity (on behalf of all of us) to be, in some small way, part of your journey. And though we are not there, I can assure you that the Drucker's are in our thoughts ... we cannot wait to greet and welcome Audrey and for me, it's been a while since I've had the chance to see Madeleine. I hope your travels continue to be safe. Happy holidays ... wishing you all a new year filled with joy, good health, and happiness! ~ Ed Kovacs

Anonymous said...

I hope you all are feeling better today. Its hard to believe that in just a few days you will be back, as now a family of 4!!! That is so wonderful! Enjoy and treasure this last bit of time in China. Keep the the pictures and journals coming. We feel like we are there with you. Thanks!!

Love to you all!
Shannon and family

Anonymous said...

Your journey and insights are a highlight of the craziness here at home preparing for Christmas. I am touched by your faith, love and joy and it is a great reminder of what this season is all about. I look forward to meeting Monique and the girls. I always knew that behind every great guy is an amazing woman! Christian you are a lucky man! Safe journey home. Love, Katie Parks

Anonymous said...

I just caught up from last Thursday. What an amazing journey you all have been on. I really love reading all about your adventures. And it is amazing how much capacity for love that you have. You think that you could not possibly love another child as much as you do your first, but then the minute you hold that child, it is all right there. Have a wonderful journey home.


Julie Hillery

Anonymous said...

Monique,

Thanks for busting Christian out. I thought WOW! I was getting ready to make Pete call for lessons!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Love Jodi Herrington

Anonymous said...

Monique, Christian, Madeleine, Audrey, and the wonderful Gramdma Memere;

We were wondering if you are flying into Bradley? We would love to greet you when you return home. Feel free to contact us at sed_awk@yahoo.com if you can give us flight specifics. We are so excited for you and have loved following you every step of the way.

Caroline & John :)

Anonymous said...

Hello again Darling druckers, You keep sending us such joy each day..thank you. Christian.. I love your sentiments.
The pictures of all of you and the scenery are beautiful.
Hope you are all feeling better. Betty

Anonymous said...

Christian, Monique, Madeleine, and Audrey,

I was so happy to finally have a chance tonight to catch up on your stories. It was a bright bit of happiness that was much needed in the Hamilton household. I have added this site to my mom's favorites because she also wants to share in your happiness. Your phone call the other day meant the world to us and I am so looking forward to the day when I can see you and give you and your new little girl a big hug! Safe travels and savor every moment!

Hugs to you all,

JoLynn